Choosing an engagement ring can quickly go from fun to high-pressure. You might think it will be easy and then you walk into the jewelry store and you’re suddenly overwhelmed with all of the selection. From band color to number of diamonds to color of diamonds to the setting there are more choices than you could have ever imagined.
When we see our clients have become overwhelmed with the selection we like to take the process and turn it into a series of steps and decisions.
One of the first ones becomes whether you would like a platinum or gold engagement ring. How do you choose?
- Understand the difference. Platinum and gold are different metals with different benefits.
Gold is measured on a karat scale. 24k is the purest form of gold but is a soft grade metal that can bend with everyday wear. 12k is comprised of an alloy of metals and is approximately 50% gold. 18k gold is made of 75% gold. Many couples who prefer gold opt for a 14% gold option.
Platinum comes in different grades as well and the higher the percentage of platinum in the alloy, the more expensive the ring will be. Platinum is a strong metal and can withstand generations of wear and tear so is a popular choice for those who are considering passing down their rings.
Platinum can run approximately 20% higher than gold and can take much longer to size.
- If you’re choosing gold, it’s time to choose between gold, white gold and rose gold. Gold comes in various colors. You can have the look of platinum at a lesser cost with white gold. Rose gold is very popular and some brides-to-be still prefer the traditional look of gold.
- Consider her skin tone. Some metals will stand out differently on different toned skin.
- Consider the other jewelry she currently wears. If she is wearing rose gold necklaces and earrings, or gold, or platinum already that is probably her preference and would be a good choice.
- Ask her. When all else fails, just ask her. It’s something she’s going to wear for a lifetime and while you may want to surprise her, if you’re worried about getting it wrong, it’s okay to just ask her.
We welcome you to come to Keezing Kreations where we’re happy to help make the engagement ring buying experience pleasant and stress-free. We can answer all your questions and help you determine the right ring for the love of your life. A ring she will love for the rest of hers.